Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Veteran's Day and Treadmills and Mizzou

Thank you to the Veteran's and those currently serving!  My grandpa and his sister (Sissie) both served in the Navy.  Sissie was actually career navy, while my grandpa served 3 years.  My cousin Caleb recently enlisted in the US Army.


People say I look like my grandpa.  That is fine with me!

The girls just started tumbling classes last week, so last night was their second night of classes.  They have taken the classes in the past, so they were very excited to get back into it.  The gym they take classes at has a little workout spot for the parents, so I figured if I had 45 minutes there, I may as well work out.  I did a 5K on the treadmill, which was a little better than at my gym, as I was able to watch the different classes of kids while running.  The treadmills there aren't as advanced as to what I am used to at the gym, so it took me a while to figure out the adjustments.  My goal right now is increasing speed, so I did the sprint 1 minute, jog 1 minute, walk 1 minute thing for the 1st mile.  I probably could have sprinted a bit faster, but sprinting on treadmills makes me a little nervous that I am going to make a fool of myself!  I did the last two miles at a decent clip and even adjusted the elevation a bit to make it harder.  At mile 1.5 I did a 2/10th of a mile steep hill.  At 2.5 miles I did a 1/10th of a mile slightly less steel hill.  I also want to increase my speed at the end of the races, so from 2.6 miles on, I increased the speed every 1/10th of a mile until I was practically sprinting at the end.  I definitely worked up much more of a sweat that I typically do when road running.  The 3.1 miles took me slightly less than a half hour, but the first mile was slower than normal due to the walking.  I feel like running on the treadmill is harder than road running.  Maybe b/c it is boring?  I don't know.

I will make it to the gym tonight, as we always stick around town on Wednesday nights due to church.  I assist in the 1st-6th grade girls class although I have been a major flake in helping the last few months.

So....Mizzou.  My alma mater in the middle of the national spotlight in a negative way.  This makes me incredibly sad, as Mizzou was always such a safe, fun place for me as a student.  I know I was probably very isolated in the ag school, but I honestly can say that I didn't see racial tension.  I absolutely do not stand for racism and am disappointed in the people that have spouted off racist slurs, but I also don't believe the campus as a whole is represented by a few people and that the protest has gone overboard.  Their list of demands includes unconstitutional agendas, they are infringing on the rights of other students and they have let mob mentality take over.  Please keep Mizzou in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment