Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Terror turned to laughter!

Oh boy, what a crazy run last night!  It has been raining again so my gravel road is way too nasty to run on, so I took the girls into town to my MIL's house so I could run on solid pavement.

But first, a little backstory.  When I was 13 or so, I went out running down my gravel road.  About a half mile from my house, a family lived with their two sons who went to school with me.  The boys came out to say hi, along with their HUGE Rottweiler.  13 year old Stephanie was teeny tiny.  I doubt I weighed over 100 pounds.  This Rottweiler easily outweighed me by 50+ pounds.  I wasn't scared of the dog and I guess it was trying to be friendly, but it jumped on me.  The dog was way too big to be jumping on me and I staggered under the weight.  As I started to fall back, I shoved the dog off of me and I guess the dog took that as an aggressive move on my part and attacked.  It clamped down on my arm with all it's teeth.  I ripped my arm out of his mouth and took off running towards the boys with the dog hot on my heels.  Luckily they caught the dog before it got to me again.  I had multiple puncture wounds in my arm and needed stitches in 3 of the holes.  So, needless to say, I am not a huge fan of dogs while running.  Actually, I am usually terrified of dogs but have actually been doing much better in my fear of dogs the past few years.

Anyway, back to yesterday.  I get about a quarter mile into my run and a mean looking dog comes after me.  I knew where the dog came from and it wasn't a huge dog, so at first I wasn't worried, but when the dog lunged at me with teeth bared, I froze.  I was terrified.  This dog was barking, growling and snapping at me.  I tried to talk calmly to it but every time I moved an inch, the dog was back lunging and growling at me.  I knew the dog owners were home so I yelled and yelled for them to come get their dog, but they couldn't hear me.

I wasn't sure what to do.  I was NOT moving so we were at a standoff.

Then my Knight in Shining Armor arrived in a blue golf cart!  Kay, my MIL's neighbor, is an awesome awesome lady.  I am not sure how old she is, but she has grandkids the same age as me, so I am guessing at least in her 70's, but man is she a spitfire.  I cant repeat word for word what she said, but it involved lots of cuss words directed at the dog.  She zoomed by me, told me to jump in and took off after the dog.  She reached across my body, grabbed me tightly and told me, "don't worry, I got you baby."  She chased that dog up and down the street in her golf cart all the while holding onto me.  She cussed that dog out up and down.  It was the most funny experience I have had in a long while!  Meanwhile, the owner came to get the dog and told me that it wouldn't have bit me.  But then he said that it must of somehow got off it's choke collar and should not be roaming loose (why the choke collar if it isn't dangerous?). 

I was able to continue on my 3.18 mile run but I swear I laughed the entire way.  When I got back, some of the neighbors told me that this dog has been a menace to the neighborhood and has tried to bite some of them.  Kay told me that this dog would be gone in a few weeks.  Not sure what her plan is, but I am sure she will follow through!

No comments:

Post a Comment